Using a CPAP while camping?

LokoLobo
Male - Male

Using a CPAP while camping?

Postby LokoLobo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:58 pm

I love camping, but I have sleep apnea, and use a CPAP.
I do take it camping, but in doing so, away from any AC power supply I have to bring a huge deep cycle battery, which isn't all that portable friendly.
The battery is heavy and hard to lug around, and well, not all that backpack or hiking friendly.

So with that said I am looking for a smaller, lighter fix or replacement for the heavy deep cycle battery.

I know I could go out and buy a travel cpap and a couple of the smaller batteries that goes with them, but I am on a budget and CPAP's are not cheap, much less the small traveling ones and batteries.

So my questions is, how do I figure out how much power my current CPAP uses, and how small of a battery I can get away with using.
Ideally the battery should be good for 2 nights of sleep without recharging.

My CPAP is the Phillips Resperonics remstar system one, and the air pressure is nearly maxed out on it at 18cmf.
http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/product/HCDS560S/system-one-remstar-auto-a-flex

I was looking at the Suaoki 220Wh Portable Generator Power Supply on Amazon.com, and was sort of wondering if it would work to power the CPAP for a couple of nights without recharging.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GE8JPY?ref_=pfb_bba1flhjg2654aha14i18g3ldjaf&tag=hydfbook0e-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P01-V01-O5-BFYD2H#customerReviews&ref_=nav_signin&

Any help in figuring this out would be great, Thanks.

RangerDan
Male - Male

Re: Using a CPAP while camping?

Postby RangerDan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't know how much this will help you, but here's a little of what I found in my short search for an a answer with respect to your question.

There are two different types of current. There is "Peak inrush current" which is the current needed to start the device and "Running current" which is the current necessary to run the device after the machine is running.

This image shows pictorially what I describe above. Edited to Add: The image shows the typical power and current draw for an electrical motor.

Normally, the "running current" is 5 - 10 times less than the peak inrush current.

I think the 5.0 Amps I found as the power requirement which is printed on the back of the machine is the starting current.

You might want to check with your DME or with Philips Respironics to verify this information though.

Return to “Electronics & Tech”